Friday, October 22, 2010

I used to work for...IRON MAN!

Jamie Bautista as Iron Man - feature banner
This is about my former boss, Sir Jamie Bautista. A big fan of Iron Man, he sometimes comes to work wearing an Iron Man mask. And on the first birthday party of his son, Sir Jamie was Iron Man in full armor!
When I was in first year college, one of my interesting professors was Jamie Bautista, whom I thought was a “she” because of the name written in our class cards. So I thought maybe his name is just like my cousin Nix’s first name, Jaime (Jayme), the male version pronunciation. But no, Sir Jamie’s name is really pronounced like a girl’s name – Jaymee. He shared that people actually remember his name because it’s supposed to be for girls.
He taught my class Computer Fundamentals and inserted a lot of comic creation and graphic design lessons. My professor was a comic geek, designer and writer.
That’s when I learned about his own comic book CAST. Many of his readers thought he was female because of his name and because the comic book is slice-of-life romance. Until now, he’s still a comic book creator. He’s the author and publishing/marketing consultant of PRIVATE IRIS, a local detective/mystery comic book series for kids and all ages. Private Iris also recently won an Anvil Award Merit. This comic was created by Jamie Bautista as the author and Arnold Arre as the artist.
Last year, when I attended Komikon 2009 in UP Diliman, there I saw a booth ofBlue Cow, the publisher of Private Iris.
They were selling Private Iris and other works of Arnold Arre and Jamie Bautista. Sir Jamie was there sitting at the booth together with the mascot Iris Able. I have just graduated at that time when I saw Sir Jamie there.
Sir Jamie Bautista and Czari Flores (me) at the Komikon 2009
Sir Jamie then got me in his creative team called TOOLBOX D. I worked there for a year with fellow officemates:
Panch Alvarez, the new Accounts Executive who’s also an artist/painter
Ate Ysa Locsin, the fashionista graphic designer
Martin Villanueva, our Palanca-awardee writer
At the middle, new guy Kenneth Umali, graphic designer who’s also a comic book enthusiast
Kuya Sece, layout artist for the press
At the middle, Ross Umali (design director), and Ate Lucy Rafael (another layout artist for the press)
And our boss is the IRON MAN:
Sometimes, Sir Jamie would come to work wearing an Iron Man mask ^_^
Sir Jamie Bautista is a big fan of Iron Man ever since he was young. As he grew older, his Iron Man collection increased in number, and finally on the first birthday of his son David he was Iron Man in full armor. A dream come true! The costume looks so great he could win in a cosplay competition. ^_^
Would like to share their links:
Toolbox D Website: www.toolboxd.com
Blog of Toolbox D’s StapleD: stapled.tumblr.com
Private Iris Website: www.privateiries.com
Jamie Bautista Website: www.jamiebautista.com
Cast Comic Website: www.castcomic.com
Ysa Locsin’s Tumblr: simplevixen.tumblr.com
Ross Umali Multiply: rossumali.multiply.com
Martin Villanueva Blog: fromthemonobloc.wordpress.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | WordPress Themes Review